I’m participating in Jennifer Wilson’s 34 Things Blog Party to celebrate all about me scrapbooking and her upcoming Big Picture Classes workshop, Before Your Story. Before Your Story is a 6-week, online course.
Since I, along with many of you, started scrapbooking after I had children, I love the idea of scrapbooking my life pre-motherhood. To "catch up" on my memory keeping but also to illustrate to my own kids who I was as a child, teenager, young adult, etc. I'm really looking forward to taking this online class!
There is a GIVEAWAY at the end of this post so one of you can take the class along with me, free of charge. There is also info on how to sign up whether you win or lose.
But first, Jennifer asked me to tell you 34 things about me...this is not going to be easy.
1. My name is Jennifer, or Jen, but if you were to call me "Jenny" you would spell it "Jennie". But you won't do that because only my grandmother and the neighbors across the street from my parents who have known me forever are allowed to call me Jennie.
2. I went to art school and was a web designer for +15 years until I was laid off after having my first son. So now I'm a stay at home mom and blogger.
3. While Googling around for scrapbooking tips, I came across a lot of digital scrapbook designers and artists. And my first thought was, "I'm a designer. I can totally do this!" Boy, was I wrong.
4. I mean, I guess I could if I worked really long and hard at it. But my first kits were really bad. And so many REALLY EXCELLENT designers were giving away freebies. I felt like I couldn't compete.
5. So I started Quality DigiScrap Freebies because I was just in awe of the beautiful stuff being given out for free for us to use in our scrapbooks. I couldn't possibly download everything I saw but I wanted to acknowledge these great designers in a public way.
6. And what a cool job I have, eh? I post only what I think is really good design (and not necessarily my own scrapbooking taste). (And I use the term "job" VERY loosely here...there's not much money in this gig.)
7. I'm a big fan of this whole scrapbooking community. Are you just getting started? Do you have a PhotoShop question? No worries, there is someone out there to help you out.
8. OK...more about me...I have two sons. One just turned 5 and the other is 3. They are your typical little boys: very busy, love superheros, hate bedtime.
9. I do not like the cold weather. My favorite season has always been summer. We live in Connecticut so we get all the seasons, sometimes in the same week.
10. Part of what I love about summer is baseball. My favorite team is the Red Sox. Since having kids, I haven't been able to watch as many games though...or at least concentrate on them if the boys are around and I can't stay up late because...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
11. I honestly don't know how I'm going to make it to #34.
12. My mom taught me how to sew when I was little and I still think it's a wonderful gift to give your child. Teach them a craft whether it's sewing, needlework, woodworking, restoring cars, whatever. Crafting is more then creating something beautiful or useful, it's solving problems, learning patience, and enjoying the satisfaction of completing a project. (I still don't have any patience though.)
13. I had a lot of opinions before I had kids about discipline, TV time, pacifiers, chicken nuggets, and more. Now I know I don't know anything.
14. I recently started a new blog with a group of women called My 30 Best Friends. Yes, this is a plug but only because I'm really proud of it. You should go check it out.
15. I have been to Ireland twice and France once but I've never been west of Ohio (and that was only due to a wrong turn in Pittsburgh. I went over some giant bridge and there was the "Welcome to Ohio" sign).
16. My favorite memories from childhood were on the water. My parents had a boat. It was big enough to sleep on but not a huge yacht or anything. I loved going to Block Island in Rhode Island the best.
17. I really like rearranging my Pinterest boards.
18. I would love to own a little used book store or sewing shop but I know the reality (money, stress) is far from my dreamy vision.
19. Holy cow, 34? Really?
20. I was big into music in high school. I'd stay up until midnight on Sunday nights to watch 120 minutes on MTV. My favorite bands were R.E.M. and U2 and I loved all the college radio music. I don't seek out music as much any more and I miss it. :-(
21. And, ironically, I need a lot of sleep. So I paid for those late Sunday nights on Monday. Since being a mom requires you to function on little or no sleep, I've gotten better at looking alive even when I feel like falling over. But not much better.
22. My favorite junk food is pizza. I'm trying to get better at making it homemade. But I love the really thin crust, New Haven style and that's been tough to replicate.
23. I really dislike pretentious people. I know that really shy people sometimes can come off as pretentious at first so I try not to judge too quickly. But others are just jerks.
24. Are you even still reading?
25. Oh, remember how I said you should teach your child a craft? You should teach them how to drive a manual transmission too. Thanks, Dad.
26. I'm a total homebody. I could stay inside for a week, especially in the winter. I'm perfectly content with food from the fridge, a book, and my laptop. Basically, I'm incredibly boreing.
27. I don't have a favorite color. I think all the colors have their virtues.
28. I like books that go on and on and on...like volumes and volumes (kinda like this list). Some recent favorites are the Song of Ice and Fire series (ya know, Game of Thrones), Diana Gabaldon's Outlander (I think there's 7 very thick books and more to come), and Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series (like a Norwegian Steigg Larsson).
29. My very favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird.
30. THIRTY! We're almost there!
31. I wear a size 9 shoe.
32. I recently had to buy over-the-counter reading glasses. My mother told me this was because I turned 40. Now I can't see anything within 2 feet of my face. I'm always misplacing these glasses and am considering getting one of those eyeglass chains so I'll stop losing them. Bonus, I'll look even older.
33. I will not, ever, watch a horror movie.
34. I am afraid of heights. I get all light headed and my ears start to burn. I once had to change a light bulb in the hallway outside of my apartment where there was a huge staircase. I ended up leaving the ladder, a light bulb, and a note to my upstairs neighbor begging him to change it. He did.
Whew. Now for the giveaway...
In Before Your Story you’ll learn a simple approach to autobiographical scrapbooking and create an album that captures your story, from birth to adulthood. Class begins February 27.
Here are the class details:
A simple approach to autobiographical scrapbooking, from birth to adulthood
February 27 - April 9
Applicable for both paper and digital!
Click here for more information and to register
Click here for more information and to register
Use the Rafflecopter ap below to enter the giveaway. A comment on this blog post is one entry. Bonus entry if you follow Quality DigiScrap Freebies on Facebook.
One winner will be randomly chosen at the end of the giveaway. The winner will be notified by email and given instructions on how to register for the Before Your Story online class.
a Rafflecopter giveaway